Sunday, July 29, 2007

Sunday stroll

Ouch, are we burnt. Even the parts of my body I put sunscreen on 3x is tender. Cristy has"Red Lobster Legs" from passing out in the sun. Max is the only one not burnt because he took a 3 hr nap under a towel. Hmmm... maybe we should learn from him. We took it easy today. Did a little stroll around town, went up to the Kona temple, and topped Alex's birthday day off with a very cool Luau. The Luau rocked, the food was good, the entertainment was great and we had a blast.

One thing I did notice as I was contemplating things was that even in paradise, nowhere has everything. I was talking to some locals and if you wanted a meaningful job that was not associated with the tourist industry you had to leave the islands. I chewed on this for awhile. Say I did move here and had a great job, what would be offered to my kids outside the tourist industry? Is there anything wrong with that? I could see how people could become jaded living here because it looked like those who had the best jobs or most successful businesses were not natives, meaning local for many generations. I'm not sure how I feel about it but I do think that I need to not take for granted that I can be here enjoying this and be very grateful for being here.

Kailua Kona

No comments: