Sunday, January 14, 2007

Chillin in OId Delhi

I had quite the day today. I went for a walking tour, sort of, through Old Delhi. I saw tons of things. Ghandi's Cenotaph (Rajghat) and its surrounding parks, the Red Fort, built by the Mughals (Muslim0 emperor Shah Jahan. Its was a spectacular complex but most of the buildings were shutdown for the upcoming Republic Day. Seems 3-4 years ago, some Pakistani terrorists tried to blow up the place during Republic Day since the PM gives a State of the Union Address there. I hired on a Rickshaw (BIG mistake) for a tour of the old town. Wow is it a crazy place. Its exactly what I pictured Delhi looking like. Masses of people and shops. There were Guild Areas, temples, claustrophobic streets...the whole shooting match. I also figured out, after talking to my company assigned driver, that I got ripped off for the charge. I paid 1000 Rupees (~25 bucks) for it and he said I should have paid maybe 600. Hmmm. Not a lot in the scheme of things but I don't like being taken advantage of. Went from there to the National Museum and saw some incredible stuff. Seems the Indus (Vedic) civilization came up at the same time as the Egyptians and was much more advanced in many ways. lastly, I went to Connaugt Place. A shoppers paradise with name brand stuff and a killer bazaar. I went looking this time but will be going back to buy some stuff for sure.


Click to enjoy the pics

There are around 150 pictures here with small description. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome blog site, Delhi is amazing and the kid in the Star Wars proto-Storm Troper outfit rocks... I'm a total Wars and Trekkie nerd!

-Giles

Mike said...

Thanks Giles, that's Alex, my oldest. He's a clone trooper

Unknown said...

It's the intellectual conversation that brings meaning to life... clone trooper eh! Vote Obama!

-Giles