Tuesday, January 09, 2007

India, Baby


Well, I'm in India. Noida to be exact. They have me staying in some great apartments even though they are in the middle of nowhere. In fact, most of them are empty and still under construction. BUT the locals assure me that the address I am at is the new posh district. Take a look at the pics and tell me how posh it is. Actually, the units really are nice.

The smog is absolutely unbelievable. My eyes actually burn at times. Since they are having a record cold spell, it will hit freezing tonight, all the homeless or tent/shack dwellers are burning files of foul smelling wood and stuff. It almost smells like sandal wood. Regardless, it makes for an interesting stay.


Click for picassaweb photos


I went to dinner last night in the equivalent of a food court. The food was good but it was really weird to have to go through a metal detector just to get into the mall area. Its crazy but I understand why with the killings, bombings, and stuff.

These shacks are crazy and literally right behind the house. I can throw rocks from the balcony and hit it if I tried. I also watched these women with baskets on their head move an entire mound of dirt. A tractor could have made short work of the dirt in 3-4 scoops but they just kept walking from one mound and spreading the dirt out in this open area. They were done by end of day and it probably cost a butt load less than hiring a tractor. Makes it easy to see how the pyramids we built.


Click for Picassaweb photos

That reddish looking shack is a tea shop and cafe. Not sure I will be visiting that one.

The smog is horrible here. I actually had my eyes burnin. A lot of the poor people are burning trash or something to keep warm as India is experiencing record cold temp. It should be freezing tomorrow.

Its actually not as bad as I initially thought. Yes, the apt is miles from anywhere and I feel like a prisoner at times but work is good and its pretty interesting here by the office. I'll get some pics of it but it is amazing how you can have a modern office bldg in a slummy neighborhood that the locals say is actually pretty nice. Wow, how perceptions rule our thinking. I suppose its really not that bad.

No comments: