Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Vrindhavan, Barsana, Mathura, and the pilgrimage trail

This actually occured Sunday but I haven't had much time to write lately with work and all. I had the chance to do the Krishna pilgrimage trail. Hindus believe that Krishna is the incarnation of Vishnu. Vishnu is the Supreme God whom all serve. While I won't take this space to dive into Hinduism, but its remarkably similar to primitive Christianity and Judaism. Anway, I went to the Shri Krishna Janmaboomi ( The birthplace of Krishna). Was pretty cool to see. Huge temple next to the site because the Muslims built a Mosque over the site much similar to temple Mount. Hmmm. I see a pattern here. turns out the Taj Mahal was a shiv Temple prior to being partially destroyed and a Tomb built. Turns out most Mughal timbs are old Hindu temples that have been destroyed and rebuilt. Anyway, i saw the birthplace, where Krishna defeated an evil tyrant very similar to Herod. this guy heard Krishna was going to be born and would destroy him. He destroyed hundreds of kids to make sure he got Krishna but Krishna was spirited away to live elsewhere with Step parents. Very interesting correlation to another story I know. Anyway. The places were exceptionally cool and I saw much of the countryside. I didn't take nearly enough pics of what I saw but It was really a great trip. Very exhausting and tiring but very good.

I've uploaded some added pics, including some more of the Taj Mahal. You can't take pics of teh temples interiors and its hard to get far enough back to take pics of the outside since these are embedded in little towns but trust me that they are great.



Click to see all pics

No comments: